Skip to main content

Giving it up

I can never decide if I should post stories from the floor (of course all the while maintaining confidentiality!).  They are so heavy, so real, and so heartbreaking sometimes.  Often after the question, "So where do you work?" and I respond with "oncology," and they respond with, "I bet that's hard," and I say, "yes, but it's good too," they don't really know what else to say.  And a frantic search for a new, comfortable and hopefully more pleasant topic often ensues (on both parts).

However, I feel it would be a disservice to not honor these who fight so hard or who "give it up" so readily and peacefully.  Or, is this really honoring them?  I don't know.  But, they have amazing stories of courage, faith, struggles with truths, their pasts, and wrestling with what's next.  So, forgive me for forcing them upon you, but hopefully you will be able to see these fighters as well and maybe catch a blessing or lesson from their fights as well.

There are days this patient or that patient comes to mind and I'm reminded of their circumstances and their fight. Tonight, one particular woman comes to mind.  She was in her early 70s, I think, and we had seen her intermittently for about a year.  She was a sweet woman, but, I often got the idea she didn't particularly care for me very much (maybe because the first time she had me, I had to wake her up every two hours).  Anyhow, I admitted her this time. Of course she was ill, but she seemed ok (now, there's ill, and there's "this is it" ill).  I always worked really hard to make her smile, because she seemed so downtrodden and fatigued from her fight.  I usually didn't get much of a response from my efforts.  But, even though I expected to see her go home, this time, she was different:  I didn't have to try very hard to get a smile out of her.  I admitted her and  had her for a couple of nights before I went for a weekend off.

When I came back, she was not doing well at all.  She had severe nausea and vomiting. Of course everybody knows this can be common after chemo, but this was much worse than the usual "severe nausea and vomiting."  This night was one of her worst nights.  I had pushed every med possible to control it, made several calls to the doctor and nothing was helping.  She got sick and she got sick and she got sick some more.  I was standing by her bed, placing a washcloth on her forehead and fanning her as she continued to get sick, when she just broke down and began to sob.  Now, mind you, we have some patients are aren't as strong as others and don't fight as long or hard as others.  But this woman was tough as nails.  She was a down-home, West Texas country woman who had physically worked hard her entire life and never complained, though she had plenty of reason to.  And this was the moment she said, "enough."  I saw the moment she "gave it up" and we both knew that was it.

She passed away a couple of days later.

I don't know why I want to tell a bit of her story or honor her.  I'm not sure she would consider my discussing her sobs and moment of surrender an "honor."  But, maybe, she would appreciate her story being told so others may know this life is fleeting. Maybe she would appreciate knowing somebody was deeply affected by her courage and strength both to fight as long as she did and to let go.  Maybe she would encourage people to reconcile differences, to ask for forgiveness and give it to those who need forgiving, to remember to breathe and enjoy their youth and health, to take time to "smell the roses" and enjoy God's creation or to enjoy relationship with one another and do your best to work at it.  I don't know.  Take what you will from her story.  May you be blessed by it and by her, somehow.

Comments

  1. Thank you Sabra. Her story is a blessing, and I know you were a blessing to her as well.
    ~Laura F.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Half Dome: Did I mention? I'm afraid of heights . . .

I kept hearing about "Half Dome" when people would talk about Yosemite. I was always intrigued and thought I would see what the big deal was.  As I researched hiking Half Dome in Yosemite, I found many blogs, a few articles, and lists about the dangers of this climb.  Coworkers would talk about the stories of hikers witnessing people slide off the edge to their deaths and their own adventuresome tales of making to the top and back down again safely, getting lost and having to find their way back to camp in the dark with flashlights.  Not to mention, there are two large waterfalls and a rushing (raging in the spring) river to consider, which has claimed hundreds of lives of healthy people, just out for a day hike.  The warnings to proceed with caution and care are very present. The hike is a 14-16 mile round trip, normally, depending on which trails you take.  Jeff and I hiked up the Mist Trail and down the John Muir Trail, so, including our 1 mile each...

Clarity

There are moments you just know things.  Like when you know something is right or when something is wrong.  There are moments you see things clearly and it all makes sense and you don't have to fight the blur of distraction of life. There are moments when you can see a bigger picture, unhindered by the tunnel-vision of the task-driven day-to-day routine.  There are moments, when the clouds break, you stop and see things, realize things and bask in a simple reality, even if ever so briefly. Today as the sun broke through several days of rain and gloom to shine some light on the beauty being born beneath the darkness of the clouds, today became a day of clarity, of stepping back and seeing a bigger picture, of seeing the beauty and renewal of the heavy rains and dark clouds.  And it was a beautiful and calmly serene day.  The hills are brilliantly emerald green, dotted with little orange poppies and yellow mustard flowers.  The trees are blooming their flow...

Texas Men and Texas

There’s nothing like the smell of a cleaned up Texas man.  Those of  you, who have grown up in West Texas or small-town Texas or have roots there, know what I’m talking about.  These are the men who go out and work the pasture or land, whether be it farming, ranching, working out in the oil fields or in the oil or gas refineries, out on the feedlots, or any other trade.  These men go work hard all day and come home in their dirty shirts, oily, smelling like the tractor or truck and dirt, hair disheveled (if they have their hair under their sweaty hat--maybe they already have that hat-induced receding hairline), kick off their boots and take a deep breath and go, “Whew!”  There’s nothing like receiving a hug from a dirty Texas man.  Then, for public or special occasions, they “get cleaned up.”  They go wash off the dirt and grit from a long day of work, put on their best starched and pressed button up shirt, tuck it into their starched wranglers wi...