Skip to main content

Now, THAT, was an earthquake!

My last entry about earthquakes was written a couple of days ago and I had still not felt any shaking.  This morning around 10:10, I was sitting on my bed, as I still am, facebooking, and my bed started "shaking," but felt more like rolling from side to side, I looked up at my jackets hanging on my door, they were shaking, and my water was shaking.  I would say the bed was moving from side-to-side about 6 inches or so, lasted about 10 seconds and I heard a very low rumbling for the duration of the shaking and for several seconds after the shaking stopped.  It took me by surprise and I did not have time to think about getting off of the bed to a doorway!

As I was checking the USGS earthquake website here to see if they were showing a new quake, the tv show, "The View" (don't judge me--I have limited channels!), was interrupted with breaking news as they said, "If you think you've just felt an earthquake, you have!  We just had an earthquake about 6.1 miles NE of Milpitas with a magnitude of 4.1."  Milpitas is about 10 miles northeast of Santa Clara (my town).  No injuries or damage has been reported yet, but, no doubt, people were and are alarmed by the quake.  The news folk are saying the quake was on the Calaveras Fault. They are saying on the news we should have around 20 aftershocks in the next 24 hours and that magnitude 4 earthquakes happen "several times a year" in this area.  BART officials shutdown the subway to check the rails.

If you're interested, you can see where the quake was (near Fremont) at the above website!  It was neat to experience . . . once.  Hopefully that will be the full extent of my earthquake experience!

Here's a short news article from the news channel I was watching:  http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/south_bay&id=7206030

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half Dome: Did I mention? I'm afraid of heights . . .

I kept hearing about "Half Dome" when people would talk about Yosemite. I was always intrigued and thought I would see what the big deal was.  As I researched hiking Half Dome in Yosemite, I found many blogs, a few articles, and lists about the dangers of this climb.  Coworkers would talk about the stories of hikers witnessing people slide off the edge to their deaths and their own adventuresome tales of making to the top and back down again safely, getting lost and having to find their way back to camp in the dark with flashlights.  Not to mention, there are two large waterfalls and a rushing (raging in the spring) river to consider, which has claimed hundreds of lives of healthy people, just out for a day hike.  The warnings to proceed with caution and care are very present. The hike is a 14-16 mile round trip, normally, depending on which trails you take.  Jeff and I hiked up the Mist Trail and down the John Muir Trail, so, including our 1 mile each...

Clarity

There are moments you just know things.  Like when you know something is right or when something is wrong.  There are moments you see things clearly and it all makes sense and you don't have to fight the blur of distraction of life. There are moments when you can see a bigger picture, unhindered by the tunnel-vision of the task-driven day-to-day routine.  There are moments, when the clouds break, you stop and see things, realize things and bask in a simple reality, even if ever so briefly. Today as the sun broke through several days of rain and gloom to shine some light on the beauty being born beneath the darkness of the clouds, today became a day of clarity, of stepping back and seeing a bigger picture, of seeing the beauty and renewal of the heavy rains and dark clouds.  And it was a beautiful and calmly serene day.  The hills are brilliantly emerald green, dotted with little orange poppies and yellow mustard flowers.  The trees are blooming their flow...

Texas Men and Texas

There’s nothing like the smell of a cleaned up Texas man.  Those of  you, who have grown up in West Texas or small-town Texas or have roots there, know what I’m talking about.  These are the men who go out and work the pasture or land, whether be it farming, ranching, working out in the oil fields or in the oil or gas refineries, out on the feedlots, or any other trade.  These men go work hard all day and come home in their dirty shirts, oily, smelling like the tractor or truck and dirt, hair disheveled (if they have their hair under their sweaty hat--maybe they already have that hat-induced receding hairline), kick off their boots and take a deep breath and go, “Whew!”  There’s nothing like receiving a hug from a dirty Texas man.  Then, for public or special occasions, they “get cleaned up.”  They go wash off the dirt and grit from a long day of work, put on their best starched and pressed button up shirt, tuck it into their starched wranglers wi...