Thursday, January 7, 2010

Now, THAT, was an earthquake!

My last entry about earthquakes was written a couple of days ago and I had still not felt any shaking.  This morning around 10:10, I was sitting on my bed, as I still am, facebooking, and my bed started "shaking," but felt more like rolling from side to side, I looked up at my jackets hanging on my door, they were shaking, and my water was shaking.  I would say the bed was moving from side-to-side about 6 inches or so, lasted about 10 seconds and I heard a very low rumbling for the duration of the shaking and for several seconds after the shaking stopped.  It took me by surprise and I did not have time to think about getting off of the bed to a doorway!

As I was checking the USGS earthquake website here to see if they were showing a new quake, the tv show, "The View" (don't judge me--I have limited channels!), was interrupted with breaking news as they said, "If you think you've just felt an earthquake, you have!  We just had an earthquake about 6.1 miles NE of Milpitas with a magnitude of 4.1."  Milpitas is about 10 miles northeast of Santa Clara (my town).  No injuries or damage has been reported yet, but, no doubt, people were and are alarmed by the quake.  The news folk are saying the quake was on the Calaveras Fault. They are saying on the news we should have around 20 aftershocks in the next 24 hours and that magnitude 4 earthquakes happen "several times a year" in this area.  BART officials shutdown the subway to check the rails.

If you're interested, you can see where the quake was (near Fremont) at the above website!  It was neat to experience . . . once.  Hopefully that will be the full extent of my earthquake experience!

Here's a short news article from the news channel I was watching:  http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/south_bay&id=7206030

No comments:

Post a Comment