Sunday, June 27, 2010

"Moving" to California!

When I started travel nursing, I knew a completely new chapter was beginning in my life and another was ending.  I anticipated meeting new people and seeing new things, but didn't really know what to expect other than that.  I didn't know I would love where I was taken as much as I do. I didn't know there would be so much to do here and to enjoy. I didn't know I would be driving across the country a second time to "move" to California, of all places, "semi" permanently, to work at Stanford.  Today, as we were driving back into the bay after spending a day laying on the beach, watching and listening to the breakers crash onto the beach and after hiking the rolling golden hills, then driving back through the mountains through the redwoods and seeing the Diablo range's golden mountainsides glowing in the setting sunlight across the valley with San Jose and the rest of the South Bay suburbs sprawling the valley, I was awestruck by the beauty and serenity of even a bustling city and metro area.  I didn't anticipate my driving my things to California in a Penske truck, not knowing exactly how long I'll be here.  But, it happened . . . I am now a "California resident."  Never did I see this in my future, even a year ago!  But, I am excited I'm here and look forward to what will happen here.

So, on Memorial Day weekend, I flew out to Texas to clear out my storage unit and to put everything that's "to keep" on a truck to have it shipped out to Cali so that I could just delegate what to  put on the truck and wait for somebody else to do the very long, not-amazingly-fun 1,400+ mile drive to San Jose from LBK.  Well, the moving company truck driver had other plans and, I suppose, decided it was time to retire that weekend.  Moving didn't happen that weekend, although, I did get to see many wonderful old friends in LBK and was able to see family for a couple of days.

The next weekend, I tried again, and flew back out to LBK, this time with reinforcements (have to give Jeff props) and the plan was to load up a Penske truck ourselves and drive it back, ourselves. . . This time, all went perfectly.  Daniel K and Katie M also helped us load up the truck (thanks, guys!!!) and it would have taken about 4 more hours without their help.  So, we worked our way back out to the west coast, in about two full days of driving, and finally got my things out to Cali!  And, although I was thankful for the time to live simply, without many material things of my own, I did miss my things, as ultimately unimportant as they are.

Here are some pics from the drive!





Jeff and I . . . He drove the big truck and lifted many heavy things!
Thank you, Jeff! (Danie and Katie, I don't have pictures of you,
but I am grateful for your help as well!!!)






This is the Golden State . . . 

I have officially started at Stanford as a "regular staff" employee.  I'm not used to thinking of myself as "regular staff"!  The crew has been great and are enjoying giving the newbie a hard time.  I will enjoy my time with them.


So, I moved out of the Inn.  I was so very thankful for the support, encouragement, and company of Ralph and Theresa, who run the Inn, as well as the other guests there.  It was a fun time and they were extremely generous and open-hearted, sharing their home, their cabin in the Sierras, making sure all was well with me and my other travel nurse friends, cooking for us . . . They were wonderful and I will always be grateful for them.



Ralph and I, enjoying making s'mores!


Arjan (a former guest), Theresa and I.  I blame Theresa's and Ralph's
wonderful cooking for the extra puff on my face! 
The BBQ's, cookies, and everything else were wonderful! 

Now, I'm living in a cottage back-house, behind a home in San Jose.  I am very near a friend and her husband from LBK, which will be fun.  I love the new cottage. It's nice, my landlords are very nice and take wonderful care of me.  This will be a good place to be.  The only downside is many northern Cal homes do not have AC . . . so, it gets warm, but, since it's in the 70's most days here for a high, it's not much of a discomfort. I have spent most of my days in capris or pants, often wearing sweaters except for a couple of hours during the day in the afternoon. : ) I also have no tan and have not worn a swimming suit except to sit in the hot tub. I do not feel like it's summer at all.  It's very pleasant, though, and great for other outdoor activities.

I hope you are all doing well!  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment