Saturday, September 19, 2009

The San Francisco Story!



Powell Street, San Francisco

I just realized it's been a while since I posted last!  Sorry.

I went to San Francisco Sunday through Wednesday to get my fingerprinting taken care of for my California nursing license.  I had to go in person because they have a computerized fingerprinting system I have to use for time's sake in order to be able to start at Stanford the 12th.  It was quite the adventure.  I got to the hotel and learned I lost my driver's license somewhere between security in Lubbock and my hotel . . . . . . . . . . BIG problem!  Very fortunately, one of my friends in LBK was able to get into my house, find my passport and overnight it to me in San Fran.  I still had to stay an extra day (how terrible . . . : ).




At Hyde St. Pier


I'm in love with San Francisco!  I especially love the WEATHER!  I had to stay in the first day because it was raining (and because I had to workout the photo ID issue as well) but the rest of the stay it was beautiful.  It was probably anywhere from 60 to 70 degrees, sunny and slightly breezy.  The Bay was my favorite place to hang out but I also LOVED Chinatown (which is VERY much like city life in China--I felt like I was truly there!) and had some amazing, authentic Chinese food there.  I rode one cable car once on the way back up to my subway station (by this point, my feet were killing me from walking miles up and down hills and along the bay) and it was worth the $5.  Speaking of money, I could definitely tell I wasn't in LBK.  My cheapest meal was in Chinatown ($5) and the rest were an average of $11 + tip.  I did have some amazing pizza and salad on Kearny St (again, worth the $11 for 2 slices).

There are many, many homeless in downtown SF.  I've been in cities, but have never encountered so many in one place.  I encountered a few I could see had addictions or complications from using/drinking (the obvious tell-tale signs we are taught to recognize).  It's very conflicting internally.  I felt sympathetic and compassionate for them at the first of the day, but by the end of my stay there found myself very irritated with being approached very often by them, which subsequently led to feelings of guilt for being irritated and for not being homeless myself.  I could feel myself falling into the cycle of frustration, disregard, and conflict the homeless and those who walk by them every day I presume fall into:  homeless person on the street asks for money, passerby donates a couple bucks --> 20 ft later, homeless person on the street asks for money, passerby doesn't donate money --> current homeless person verbally insults passerby who just donated money 20 ft up the road -->  passerby becomes offended and frustrated with homeless --> animosity and frustration results--> homeless person asks for money --> passerby remembers previous homeless's insults and does not donate money --> animosity and frustration results.  (Please know I do not condone the response of animosity or frustration.  I am simply conveying the reality of what I perceived while I was there.)


I was reminded social injustices are rampant and it's good and important to see them with my own eyes.  Hopefully facing them will be an encouragement to love and serve those who face injustices and need help with addiction, hopelessness, helplessness and disabilities, and, hopefully, I will not allow the offense of those frustrated by their helpless dependence upon passersby for their bread and water to keep me from serving them.  I also was conflicted about what really meets their needs:  Does a couple bucks while only having to face them for 10 seconds really help them?  Or programs for recovery?  Definitely the fact that life in Jesus can free them from whatever binds and figuratively "cripples" them now is the best we can offer.  But, what services can we provide that really meet their physical needs now, so they might see love in action, consistently?

I didn't come up with any solutions of what will provide permanent relief for them, physically, now.  Shelters can only care for them for a limited amount of time due to a lack of availability, recovery programs have limited funding, churches and soup kitchens also have limited funding.  Our worldly attempts absolutely fail to permanently alleviate the suffering of all homeless left on the streets.  There is One Hope that does not fail:  that we may have freedom from all of these injustices in Christ.  That is all we have to offer with any long-term hope:  One day, this suffering will end.


Rev 21:3  And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.
Rev 21:4  He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."
Rev 21:5  And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."
Rev 21:6  And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. . . "


So, San Francisco was good!  Even though I lost my driver's license! And even though I had to spent a couple hundred bucks more to stay another day and fedex my passport.  I think I will like California and especially like San Fran!

I have not been to Stanford yet.  I didn't venture south of the city while I was there.  Mom and I will start driving to California probably during the first week of October and take about 3 days to get out there.  I am still packing and tying up loose ends for my licensing and job before I leave.  I will be out of my house on the 30th and my nomadic lifestyle will commence!





Proof I was there (Alcatraz in the background)



Hundreds of sea lions resting at Pier 39 and the
Golden Gate Bridge in the background.



1 comment:

  1. oooo sea lions are SOOO cute!!! Pet one for me, k?? And talk to it in your Dinah voice!! Dinah kinda looks like a sea lion, btw. Love you, am so excited for you and am going to live vicariously (sp?) through you.

    ReplyDelete